Действительно, из соображений естественно-научного здравого смысла, биотехнологические аварии несравнимо более опасны, чем сказочные террористические ОМП. Но... беда в том, что без такого рода паранойи пропаганда GWOT теряет смысл.
Отсюда вывод - научному мировоззрению лучше посторониться, чтобы дать дорогу "войне с террором".
Initial report on potential breaches to biosecurity at the Pirbright site, 2007
* An outbreak of foot and mouth disease virus (FMDV) was confirmed at a farm in Surrey on 3 August 2007.
* Preliminary Defra investigations indicated that the virus may have originated from the Pirbright site at which two separate organisations are based: the Institute for Animal Health (IAH) and Merial Animal Health Ltd (Merial).
* We concentrated on biosecurity issues associated with FMDV strain O1BFS67 as this was the strain associated with the outbreak.
* We concentrated on the time frame between 14 and 25 July 2007 as this was advised by Defra to be the most likely period of infection.
* We investigated whether or not this strain was in use at the IAH and Merial sites in that time frame and the precise nature of any activities undertaken.
* We investigated whether or not there had been any lapses in control measures which could have led to a breach in biosecurity and whether these could be linked to the outbreak.
We confirmed that the FMDV strain found at the outbreak farm was being worked on at both organisations at both the IAH and Merial sites during the period between 14 and 25 July 2007. This involved large scale production at the Merial site (10 000 litres) and a series of small scale experiments (less than 10 millilitres in each case) at the IAH site.
There are various potential routes for accidental or deliberate transfer of material from the site. We have investigated site management systems and records and spoken to a number of employees. As a result we are pursuing lines of inquiry.
Release by human movement must also be considered a real possibility. Further investigation of the above issues is required and is being urgently pursued.